offroad vietnam motorbike tours logo from 2014

COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) MESSAGE: The situation in Vietnam is under good control. Our office is open and you can hire motorbikes or scooters from us. The booking for Vietnam motorbike tours is available and you can book now with good deals. You can change the dates (no extra charge) if flights are delayed. Thank you for your attention!

Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental – Vietnam Motorbike Driving License


We understand most of the foreigners care about motorbike driving license when they think of travelling on two wheels in Vietnam. This page is updated until today.

Updated (good news): You can try this website ( to get an international driving license. They also abide by the 1968 Convention. The application process is 100% online and takes about 3 minutes including uploading a headshot. Below is a permit they issued to one of our Australian customers, make sure you have motorbike endorsement in your national license.

Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - 1968 Convention international motorbike driving license for Australian customers

Foreign Licenses

Sadly, none of your home country driving licenses is valid in Vietnam. There are conflicting reports about this but the reality is unfortunately not a good news. Please get an international driving licence as explained below.

International Driving Licenses

We will explain and cover the different types of IDL and help you to know which one works here in Vietnam.

1949 & 1968 Convention International Driving Permit (IDP)

Recently, some countries started to issue an IDP that includes both of the Conventions and that means you are good to ride everywhere. Please contact a licencing agent and ask if you can get one as below.

Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - 1949 & 1968 Convention international motorbike driving permit is good in Vietnam

1968 Convention International Driving License (IDL)

Fortunately, the good news is IDL is now valid in Vietnam from August 1st 2016 with the 46/2016/ND-CP decree. However, this decree only covers countries that abide by the 1968 Convention on Road Traffic on IDPs. If you have a 1968 IDP like below, you can purchase an insurance policy that covers you for riding in Vietnam. Please also bring your home country driving license with motorbike endorsement. Congratulations, you are riding legally in Vietnam!

Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - 1968 Convention international motorbike driving license is now accepted in Vietnam
Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - 1968 Convention international motorbike driving license is now accepted in Vietnam

1949 Convention International Driving Permit (IDP)

Many countries like Australia, UK, USA and Canada etc. are not signatories to the 1968 Convention but abide by the 1949 Geneva Convention. Therefore, citizens of those countries are NOT able to drive in Vietnam with their IDPs.

Below is a copy of 1949 Convention IDP which is not accepted in Vietnam!

Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - 1949 Convention international motorbike driving permit is not good in Vietnam

Local (Vietnam) Licenses

Vietnamese driving licences are mandatory for riders of motorcycles with a capacity of over 50cc. You need A1 license for under 175cc or A2 for over 175cc.

It’s more to do with insurance policies when you ride in Vietnam. For more details please follow this link.

Below we will go over the details to help you understand the whole process and how to have a local Vietnam motorbike driving license. We have one office in Hanoi only so the details are good for Hanoi, not other provinces or cities.

Your Status

You will first need to know your status to start with.

Currently, it’s also possible to have a Vietnamese motorbike license even if you travel on a tourist visa. Make sure your home country driving licence includes motorbike, your passport and Vietnam visa are still valid. First, you need to get all your documents translated at a notary office and bring them to the local Department of Transport.

Status 1

You have your home country driver’s license and can operate both automobiles and motorcycles. If this is you, you can obtain the equivalent driver’s licence in Vietnam, without the need to do a test. In short, it’s just about converting your license!

Status 2

You hold your home country driver’s licence, but can only operate an automobile. If this is you, you can obtain a motorcycle licence after passing a motorcycle driving test. Luckily, there is no need to do a theory test.

Status 3

You do not have any driver’s licence that allows you to operate an automobile or motorcycle. If this is you, you will need to pass both theory and driving tests to operate a motorcycle. Please note though, the theory test is in Vietnamese and on a computer screen with 20 questions and you must pass at least 18 of them. To make it more difficult, sadly you can’t have an interpreter. In other words, you need to be fluent in spoken and written Vietnamese.

Status 4

You have your home country driving license with motorbike endorsement. In addition, you also have a valid international driving permit (IDP) from countries that signed 1949 Convention (found on the first page). Sadly, Vietnam doesn’t accept both of your licenses.

Status 5

You have your home country driving license with motorbike endorsement. In addition, you also have a valid international driving permit (IDP) from countries that signed the 1968 Convention (printed right on the first page, see above). Congratulations, there is nothing you need to do. Bring both of these documents and you are legal to ride motorbikes in Vietnam. However, you can only be legal for the displacement limit of your licenses.

Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - Vietnam motorbike driving license test in Bac Ninh April 2014 from Offroad Vietnam staff

Converting Your Motorbike Driving License

It is the easiest way to get a Vietnam motorbike driving license. In other words, you don’t need to take any theory or riding test.

This could only be possible if you already had your home country motorbike driving license. It’s simply converting from your home country driving license to the Vietnamese license.

You need to have notarizing copies of your passport, visa and home country motorbike driving license (take 1-2 working days once you are in Vietnam). These documents can be done at any notarizing office. Then wait 3-5 days (Status 1 above) to have a your Vietnam motorbike driving license issued.

If you need a riding test (Status 2 above) then you need to wait a bit longer. Normally, they can arrange a weekly test somewhere in Hanoi. But sometime this can be longer.

In Hanoi, applications for temporary driver’s licences should be directed to the City Department of Transport, 16 Cao Ba Quat street.

Applying For a Vietnamese Driving Licence

This is much more difficult way to get a Vietnam motorbike driving license. You need to take both theory and riding tests (Status 3 above). All questions an instructions are only in Vietnamese! You have to do this because you don’t have a valid home country car or motorbike driving license. Something like CBT from the UK is not enough.

To get a Vietnam motorbike driving license, the applicant must hold a valid Vietnamese residence permit or a work permit, a business visa of at least three month’s validity and a sponsor company. You need to have notarizing copies of your passport and visa (take 1-2 working days once you are in Vietnam). These documents are translated and notarized at any notarizing office. Then wait for your turn to do the theory and riding tests that can take up to a month.

To apply for a Vietnamese driving licence in Hanoi, the applicant should contact the City Department of Transport, 16 Cao Ba Quat street.

Service Companies

In reality, there are companies or people who offer service of obtaining or converting Vietnamese driving license. They usually require copy of your papers only. However, their prices are very expensive, starting from around 250$US (under 175cc or A1 license) to 400$US (over 175cc or A2 license).  In reality, most tourists found these prices too expensive and couldn’t afford them.


If you want minimum risks and in safe hands without worrying about Vietnam motorbike driving license then book a guided motorbike tours with us. Many people think they can save on a self-guided motorbike tour but if something happens they do loose money!

The only thing that we found difficult for novice riders is getting out of town and returning back to Hanoi. Just watch this video and see how two girls who were beginners on Honda XR125 dirt bikes. With our guide leading your way, you will get through this. Flow as a fish in the river!

To know whether a self-guided or guided tour is better for you, please follow this link.

Just contact us if you still have more questions regarding driving licenses for your Vietnam motorbike tours.

Other Essential Things

Safety riding gear 
Motorbike lesson
Things to bring
Mechanic basics
Travel documents

Top of page Vietnam Motorbike Hanoi Rental - Vietnam Motorbike Driving License

  1. Richard N Reply

    I live in Binh Duong and have TRC good until April 2021. converted my USA DL that allows me to drive cars to a Vietnamese DL that allows me to do the same thing here. My question do I only have to take a practical driving exam to be able to add an A1 status on my Vietnamese DL? Or do I have to take both a practical and theory exam? Also, can I take my practical exam in Binh Duong or do I have to take it in HCMC?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      You do need to go ask at the local Department of Transport. Each province may have different policies. In Hanoi, you just need to do a practical test. You can do the test anywhere that you apply the paperwork. Good luck.

  2. Mark Smith Reply


    Can foreigners obtain a lifetime (or non-expiring) A1 motorcycle license or is this illegal to have? Currently, my Vietnam motorcycle license is valid for one year and I renew it every year with my new work visa. I heard that getting an A1 lifetime is an option, but if the police find it they will take it as it is not legal. Thanks!

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Mark,

      We have many friends who obtained A1 or even A2 license with lifetime validity. They have no issue with the police. You may need to find a good service company to get one, sadly we know nobody to recommend.

  3. Sam Reply

    Hi Anh Wu,
    I have got my national driving license converted before in Vietnam. The last one ended in 2017 when I was on a temporary resident card still.
    I am now on a 5-year visa exemption valid until 2022 (Giay Mien Thi Thuc) but requiring outing every 180 days.
    Question 1: can I apply for conversion with Visa Exemption versus business visa or TRC?
    Question 2: if yes to Q1, will my Vietnamese license be valid until 2022 or for 6 months only?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Dear Sam. Yes to Q1 and they issue one to the expiry date of your passport rather than your visa. For more details, contact the local Department of Public Transport (So GTCC) for the updated paperwork. Good luck.

  4. AB Reply

    Hi there. I’m relocating to Vietnam soon (fully employed as a teacher within an international school). I’ve spent a lot of time in SE Asia previously, driving on scooters. I’d like the opportunity to rent a scooter every now and then within the full remit of the law. Unfortunately, I currently do not have a licence to drive anything.

    I am considering taking up my A1 license in the UK (up to 125cc) and then converting once in Vietnam. Can you let me know if this would be acceptable? Or do I need a full automobile license as well?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Alex. You will just need a motorbike driving license. To convert you need a business visa and a work permit or long-term residence card. Then apply the paperwork at the local Department of Public Transport. They can give you more instructions when you are there.

  5. Kai Reply

    Chào Anh Wu, em là người Trung Quốc, em muốn thi bằng lái xe máy, lúc trước em có tư vấn với một thầy trung Tâm đào tạo, người ta nói người nước ngoài thi bằng lái phải có thẻ trạm trú, nhưng bản hộ chiếu em là bản mới không xin được thẻ trạm trú, gặp trường hợp này thầy nói không biết. Em có giấy phép lao động, có thể dùng giấy phép lao động thay thế thẻ trạm trú có được không? Mong anh trả lời, cảm ơn nhé.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Chào Kai. Em có thể liên hệ với Sở Giao Thông Vận Tải nơi em được cấp Giấy Phép Lao Động và họ sẽ hướng dẫn cụ thể. Nếu bằng lái xe của em được điều khiển xe máy thì em sẽ được cấp bằng tương đương của Việt Nam. Chúc em thành công.

  6. Tony Reply

    Hi Anh Wu,
    Some mates and I are planning on doing a 10-day motorbike tour out of Hanoi next year but only 2 of us have motorbike licenses and won’t be able to swap over to a Vietnamese licence due to the reasons you have stated.
    Will this lack of a license prevent us from being able to hire motorbikes and a guide or are companies happy to rent to unlicensed riders?
    What would be a good itinerary for 10 days out of Hanoi that includes the Ha Giang loop?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Tony. We sent a detailed (long) reply via email. Please check that reply and let us know what else you need us to provide. Thanks.

  7. Matko Reply

    Dear Anh Wu,

    I am currently in Hanoi. Obtaining a drivings licence A category is much cheaper herere in Vietnam than in my home country Croatia. I’d like to have the A category so I can ride my motorbike at home. It cannot be A2 as the motorbike is 750cc and 37kW. Do you maybe know where can I get that in Hanoi or who to contact to find out more ?

    Thank you!

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Dear Matko. As far as I know, a Vietnamese driving license is not accepted in your home country and you can’t get an international driving license with a Vietnamese license because you are not a Vietnamese. If you want to know more, check with the local Department of Transport and they can give you more instructions. We are very busy and unfortunately have no time to assist in this complicated process. Good luck.

  8. michael stoeckle Reply

    Hi. Does vietnam recognize and accept ASEAN country DL as per agreement of 1985? I have a Thai license. Thanks.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Dear Michael. The lastest confirmation is still “no”. Only Vietnamese driving license or 1968 Convention IDL is valid in Vietnam and of course must include motorbike endorsement.

      • John Paul Reply

        Has anything changed recently in respect of recognition of other ASEAN countries driving licence in Vietnam? I read official Thai announcements from government agencies that claim that Vietnam is one of the ten countries in ASEAN that recognizes other ASEAN countries licenses. Were they simply wrong to say that or does Vietnam resist despite some existing agreement?

        • Anh Wu Reply

          Hi John, No, it’s not yet in Vietnam. Only a Vietnamese driving license and 1968 international driving license are valid here. All others, including ASEAN or UK IDP are not accepted, regardless of the announcement from media. It may happen in the future but at least not until this moment. I know people read different sources of news but not all are updated or official.

          • George

            To whom it may concern,

            I am a UK citizen, wanting to ride in Vietnam legally for travel.

            Is it correct that the UK is now covered by the 1968 IDP convention as I believe it came into effect 28th march 2019?

            if the UK 1968 IDP was recognized now, would I be able to ride with a tourist visa or would I need the IDP and a business visa for example?

            Many thanks.

          • Anh Wu

            Hi George,

            If you get 1968 IDP you are good in Vietnam (with motorbike endorsement), no requirement about visas. You need to contact the licencing agency in your country (DVLA I think?) and ask them.

            Another way is to convert online and we mentioned very clearly at the top of this page. It’s a long read but gives you all the details.

            Good luck.

  9. Turgay Reply


    I have the driving license for car and bike + IDP. Do you know how to get the ownership of a bike in Vietnam (blue card with own name)? What are the requirements?

    Thank you so much in advance!

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Sadly, you need to check this at the registration office. Normally, you can’t do it on a tourist visa, you need to be a resident in Vietnam with a work permit or residence card. Unfortunately, we don’t assist in this process.

  10. Martin Bowles Reply


    I have a full UK Driving license for both cars and motorcycles (no restrictions).

    I have recently converted my UK license in Hanoi and posses all the completed paperwork. Does this mean that I can ride above 150cc ? I can’t see anything on the paperwork which clearly states A1 or A2…

    Thank you advance.


    • Anh Wu Reply

      Dear Martin. You should ask at the Department where you submitted the papers. They can confirm. Normally, converting a license gives you the same validity.

  11. Amy Trinh Reply

    Hi, can we do the driving test with an automatic scooter?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      No, you must ride the bike (with chips) from the driving license office test centre. In addition, you must understand or read Vietnamese for instructions, no interpreter allowed.

  12. Virende Rai Reply

    I am Indian and I have a valid driving license for both motorbike and car. I have a student visa. Can I convert my licence over 175 CC ?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Dear Virendrarai. Please contact your local province Department of Transport and they will provide more instructions. It’s slightly a bit different between provinces. Converting a license to over 175cc (A2 class) requires your Indian license to have the same class. Good luck.

  13. Nic Reply


    I am Canadian and have a valid drivers license for automobiles only. I’d like to tour Vietnam by motorcycle over 175cc. Can you please assist on what is required by myself and the cost.


    • Anh Wu Reply

      If you travel on a tourist visa, officially you can’t get a license. You need a work permit or a residence card and a business visa. However, I know a service company who can arrange a Vietnamese temporary for you without doing any test but their price is quite steep (between 300 – 400$US depending on your license). Over 175cc is A2 license in Vietnam and it’s expensive and so far nobody is willing to pay this much. Note that we don’t offer this service, just posted the information.

  14. Ty Reply

    Which document copies need to be translated? Just the drivers license or all?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Everything and must be notarized.

  15. Darryl Reply

    Bit outdated.. if your from Australia and have a open rider licence. a idl.certified along with a three month visa and $32 you can get what they call a tourist license in Ho Chi Min.. i got one last year and although now it has expired when my visa expired it did allow me to ride there.. i went through the transport dept with three photos all certified..

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hi Darryl. How long does it take? What papers did you need to have? If you have more details. We are not providing license conversion or offer any service so we can share everything. If you can send a copy of your tourist license that would be more real. We never heard of such a license in Hanoi 🙁

      • Geoff Ings Reply

        Hi Darryl and Anh,
        I have done this 3 times the first was the long drawn out thing. Translation of your licence has to be done by their approved Translator a letter from the AUS Embassy and a 3 month Visa. Do all the forms at the Ho Chi Minh Department of Transport pay and wait 1 week. KEEP ALL OF THE PAPERWORK. your licence is valid for the length of your visa. Next trip get a 3 month Visa Take your Vietnamese licence and all the old paperwork hand it in and get your new licence again 1 week this you can do until your date on your Home licence is reached then you will need to renew your home licence and redo the Translation.

        • Anh Wu Reply

          Thank you for your advice.

  16. San Reply

    Hello. My name is San. I’m from Indonesia.
    There is an agreement between ASEAN countries about driving license recognition. Is it also works in Vietnam?
    Thank you.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      To date, none of the foreign licenses is valid in Vietnam, including your country license. There are conflicting reports about this but the reality is unfortunately not a good news.

      However, the good news is IDP (international driving permit, 1968 Convention and not the 1949 Convention) is now valid in Vietnam from August 1st, 2016 with the 46/2016/ND-CP decree. You also need to present your home country driving license with motorbike endorsement.

      In conclusion, only Vietnamese driving license (local and converted) and the 1968 Convention IDP are recognized in Vietnam.

  17. Petr MAKALOUS Reply

    Hello Anh Wu.
    Your pages are very helpful! I consider to travel in Vietnam on motorbike next year but I have driving licence B only (car up tu 3 500 kg) from my country (Czech rep.) with corresponding IDP (Vienna 1968), that is “Status 3” by your info. I would like to go through “motorcycle driving test” then. Could you give an advice where I can apply for this exam? I mean what autority in Vietnam and practice info, etc. Thanks very much in advance!

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Dear Petr. If you travel on a tourist visa, you can’t get a Vietnamese license. You must be fluent in Vietnamese because you are not allowed to have an interpreter. To ask for more details, contact the nearest Department of Public Transport because we don’t assist in this process. However, in your case, it’s near impossible, sorry to say the truth.

  18. Dean Reply

    Hello Anh Wu,
    yes i got legal Document from Cambodian Police , dare my job transfer in Vietnam i would like to bring with me my motorbike as here a new Motorbike is very expensive .

    Do you mean the NN plate for foreigner?


    Best regards

  19. Dennis Wilde Reply

    Hello Anh Wu

    Great info!

    But one question if I’m visiting Vietnam for 2 weeks and I have an international driving license (car & moped). Can I get the 100cc test also? or do I have to have a work permit? or is it fine as a tourist?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hi Dennis. Assuming you have a 1949 IDP. Bad news: Officially, tourists can’t get a Vietnam driving license. However, there are some service companies who can arrange a Vietnamese license for around 200$US. Too expensive, isn’t it? We don’t assist in getting a local license.

  20. Dean Reply


    I would like to register my motorbike. It is over 800 cc but I am a foreigner with Resident card and Vietnamese Driver License. There is any legal way to do it?


    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Dean,

      You can only register your bike if you have all legal documents – this means you bought a new bike. If it’s an illegal bike there is no way to register it. Many used big bikes in Vietnam were illegally imported from Cambodia or use fake papers. Please contact your local police office (CSGT) for the specific requirement.

      Good luck.

  21. Stanav Reply

    Hello Anh Wu,
    Regarding operating a motobike less than 50cc (no driver license required), does the same law apply to foreigners also or is it only for local Vietnamese? And do you have anything < 50cc for rent?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Stanav. Yes, this applies to everyone. Sadly, we have no small scooters, the smallest is 100cc. In fact, 50cc doesn’t have enough power and costs as much as 100cc while it’s mostly Chinese copy – not reliable.

  22. James Barker Reply


    Thanks so much for this valuable information! I don’t have a home country motorbike license from the USA since I haven’t lived there in years, but I do have a valid motorbike license from Thailand and Mexico (where I have recently lived). Will I be able to use either of these to obtain a Vietnam motorbike license easily or will I have to take a driving test? I will be have a work permit and work visa as a teacher.


    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello James. If your Thai or Mexican licenses have motorbike endorsement and you have a work permit then you can easily convert into a Vietnamese license. You don’t need to take any test. The validity is up to passport or work permit (whatever shorter). The company who applies your work permit must arrange this license at the local Department of Public Transport.

  23. Maheshkumar J Reply

    Hi I am from India and we are planning a bike ride (using 15 local rental bikes) trip in Vietnam for a week to see places around. We all have an Indian Driving License (Two wheeler with Gear). Will that be valid or need to any take any other measures. Please advice.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Mahesh. I think your license is 1949 Convention? Check the first page. If this is the case, sadly you are not allowed to use this license for Vietnam. Honestly, most traffic cops don’t know the difference between two IDPs, so bring it and hopefully it works. If you can apply the 1968 Convention, then do it. One of our English riders last month managed to get two IDPs!

  24. hagler Reply

    I think you should clarify to people that the decree of last year only covers countries that abide by the 1968 convention on IDPs. Australia, USA and Canada are not signatories to the 1968 convention but abide by the 1949 Geneva convention so citizens of those countries are NOT able to drive in Vietnam with their IDPs.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Yes, thank you for your detailed contribution. We did realize this but were too busy so just forgot. We now got this page updated.

  25. Tim Reply

    I got my automobile license from my home country converted to a Vietnamese license. Now, can you tell me where to get the application and sign up for the driving test for a motorbike? I think it used to be at Quoc Tu Giam but has moved. Thanks.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      You need a business visa and a residence card or work permit. Otherwise, you can’t convert to a Vietnamese license. This department is now in Ha Dong. Do some research and you will find out the new location.

  26. Brett Reply


    I live in Hanoi and I just got a car and motorcycle license for less than 175cc. I got it using my home license. No problem. But I want my full motorcycle license. My embassy (we are here as diplomats) says this can’t be done because you need to speak Vietnamese to get a motorcycle licence above 175cc. Do you know if this is correct?

    Thanks for your advice!

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Yes, they are right. Whatever test you take will be in Vietnamese and you are not allowed to have a translator. Therefore, you must speak and understand Vietnamese. Theory test has 20 questions. You must understand Vietnamese to circle the answers, all questions come with pictures and on computer.

      • Brett Reply

        Thanks. So I can’t just use my Australian motorcycle license to get a VN motorcycle license–like I did for my car license here?

        • Diego Reply

          Very useful into Anh. Many thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge. Please let me understand. In my country I have a full driving licence for any motorbike. Does it mean that if I convert to the Vietnamese one I will be able to drive max 175cc? I do not speak Vietnamese and therefore no way I can pass the test. Thank you for your advice.

          • Anh Wu

            To convert you must have a business visa AND a work permit or residence card. If you are on a tourist visa, you can’t do it. After notifying passport and driving license, you wait for 7 days to have a Vietnamese license. The validity will be your passport expiry date. You can ride any bike, it’s simply converting your license into Vietnamese one. Please contact the Ministry of Transport or local Department of Transport where you live and they will provide further instructions, we don’t offer any service relating to converting a license. Good luck.

          • Diego

            Dear Anh, I’m doing some extra search. From what I learnt it seems you are right but the driving license will last only until the end of the VISA (I have business VISAs renewed every 6 months). So I would end up having to go through the same process every 6 months. no good, no no! You indicated instead that “the validity will be your passport expiry date”. Are you still sure about that?

          • John Pearce

            @Anh Wu–This is incorrect. I have only a business visa, no work permit, and I get a new Vietnamese license right after I renew my visa. I’m on my fourth one, the most recent was obtained in Nov 2017 and the one before that in Nov 2016. I got my first one in 2013 on a tourist visa and another in 2015 on a tourist visa.

            @Diego–It takes a few minutes of your time and a less than US$15. Is that really too much to ask to be driving/riding legally?

          • Anh Wu

            John. It depends on which province you dealt with. The information is for general. We never heard of any success like yours so could you be a bit more specific of steps? It can’t be that easy, many of my friends who are foreigners reported worse things than I posted here 🙁

  27. Lee Reply

    According to the Australian Government website we cannot drive legally in Vietnam even with an IDP, but from what I am reading here if we have an IDP we can hire a car or motorbike is this correct?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Yes, you are correct. Western media and even Vietnamese embassies are too slow on this. We did mention this on this page. They must be up with the current situation.

  28. Jamie Reply


    Is there any way of getting the license quicker? I have Status 1 but I want to arrive on a Friday night and start riding on Sunday morning in Hanoi, what do you recommend?

    Thanks so much, this is a very informative page!

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Jamie. As we explained on our website, you are not able to get a Vietnamese license if you travel on a tourist visa. Even with a business visa and a work permit, with all paperwork and notary papers you need at least two weeks in reality. The better way is get an international driving license from your country, make sure it has motorbike endorsement.

    • John Pearce Reply

      The only way would be to come earlier or start riding later.

      • Anh Wu Reply

        And make sure your riding skills are competent.

  29. Nura91 Reply

    I normally have a driving license in Europe, but got it drawn-in from the government for driving under the influence of alcohol 3 months ago. I wasn’t able to get it back before my departure, as I moved to Asia. My question: Is it still possible to rent a motorbike and get an insurance with only a copy of the European license?

    Thanks for your answer!


    • Anh Wu Reply

      No, in fact you need an international driving license or Vietnamese license. Unfortunately, no copy is accepted. Therefore, you need to accept any risk for riding without license or wait and get license back.

      If you rent a bike, we don’t require a license but if police stops you pay the fine.

  30. Ben Dover Reply

    Hi, what’s the current status with regard to getting a Vietnamese motorbike license based upon my holding a UK motorbike license ?
    Are UK motorbike licences legally accepted yet ?!
    If not, what is the current process ?
    Also, how on earth do I get myself a business visa or work visa if I’m really just going to be a tourist ?! Assuming this is still a requirement.

    I do find it really quite backward of the Vietnamese government not to put a simple procedure in place for awarding tourists a license (even if temporary) upon presentation of a UK (or other well regarded driving test nation). Its an easy money spinner for the government and means people can get insured too. Frankly a rider with a UK license (or many other countries) will be a FAR better & safer driver than a native local !!!!
    I agree that people without any license shouldn’t be allowed to rent anything.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hi Ben. No foreign license is legal in Vietnam. A business visa costs a lot of money. For example, 1 year business visa is about 600$US. When you are in Vietnam you will know how crazy traffic is and Vietnamese riders are among the best in the world on SMALL bikes. However, many are very careless. Therefore, on average about 27 people die daily and most are bike riders.

      • John Pearce Reply

        A one-year business visa is a lot less money now. I paid less than US$250 for the one I got in Nov 2017

        • Anh Wu Reply

          Could you please provide the steps and/or company that you dealt with? We don’t offer this service so the details are for the customers.

    • Jeff Slater Reply

      The UK has signed the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, a UK IDL is valid.

      • Anh Wu Reply

        There are two Conventions (1949 & 1968) and UK signed the 1949 Convention while Vietnam signed the 1968 Convention. It’s a mighty claim but won’t work in Vietnam.

  31. Susan Reply

    Would you let me know about the relation between Driving License and Temporary Resident Card.
    The Driving License will expire when the Temporary Resident Card expires, won’t it?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Susan. They normally issue it to the validity of your passport but can be to your residence card. Please check with your local Department of Public Transport for more details.

  32. danny rushton Reply

    Hello. So if I am right in what you are saying if I visit Vietnam for 3 weeks on regular tourist visa I can not get a licence so therefore can not hire a motor bike? Or can I still hire a motorbike but risk getting caught by police for not having licence? If i do get caught by the police, what is likely to happen to me?

    • Anh Wu Reply

      You are right. The charge is about 50$US. That’s the same everywhere.

  33. Aaron Reply

    I have a valid driver’s license for an automobile from the US. I would need to take status 2. My question is, how much does the temporary license cost after I pass the road test for a motorcycle? And would I get the license the same day as I pass the test? Thanks for your help.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Aaron. You still need a business visa and a work permit. A license will be issued to the validity of your passport. A1 (50-174cc) license costs about 20$US and A2 (above 175cc) is about 150$US and some pocket money. Sadly, we don’t assist with getting a local license for foreigners due to the hidden costs and complicated paperwork. Please contact the Hanoi Urban Transport Management and Operation Centre, 16 Cao Ba Quat street.

  34. Al Reply


    Is there any news about the new international license laws in Vietnam, that are meant to be introduced early this year? I cannot seem to find anything definitive online. I will be visiting in May and hope that it is in place by then (i have a Australian motorbike license and am an experienced rider, including in other SE Asian countries).


    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Al. The government is working on accepting international driving license from 2015 but unfortunately there is no final confirmation from the Ministry of Transport. Laws in Vietnam need sometime to be enforced through a complicated system of decrees and letters.

  35. Bink Reply

    Hey I would like to rent two motorbikes to go from Hanoi to Hochimin city. We both have drivers licences. I have mine on me but my friend does not have his hard copy.

    Will this be an issue.

    • Anh Wu Reply

      Hello Bink. Unfortunately, we don’t offer one-way motorbike hire because we have only one office in Hanoi. Vietnam doesn’t recognize foreign licenses but it’s not that complicated as explained above.

Leave a Reply


captcha *